I am a multidisciplinary artist moving between 2 dimensional and 3 dimensional media. My primary interest has always been finding structure and exploring the possibilities of different media, whether from an organic or man-made subject.
I work in a variety of mediums including ceramics, encaustics, watercolor, photography, digital media, and jewelry. I am inspired by various subject matter as I search for what can be found in patterns, colors, and forms. I am constantly experimenting with different media, finding the structure and recreating it into new compositions. The process dictates the outcome as different processes suggest different approaches. During the process, something happens, a direction to follow unfolds. I also respond to the space between intention and accident that occurs in art making. The process often reveals new possibilities. I explore the tension between opposites: structure versus spontaneity, hard versus soft, amorphous versus line. Whether my art arrives from close ups of plants, urban architecture, or is imaged through digital drawings, I am able to find and reinvent my work.
• Juried Exhibition, 92nd Street Y Art , annual Student Show, May 2016
• The National Association of Women Artists, new members show, 2015
• Juried Exhibition, International Encaustic Conference, 2013, 2014
• Baltimore Clayworks, artist member solo, 2002
• Carol Brody Porcelain, The Clay Place, Pittsburgh, PA, 1995
• Solo Ceramic Show, Goucher College, 1980
• 2000 to present, Artist Member, Baltimore Clayworks
• 2015 to present, Artist Member, The National Association of Women Artists
• CEO, Craft Concepts, 1980-2000.
o Originated, developed and managed a retail crafts media art gallery. Originated
concept. Planned and built retail rental space. Managed all inventory, purchased
and consigned. Developed and oversaw business record keeping practices. Hired
and managed staff.
• Instructor, Ceramics, Goucher College, 1980 - 1985
• Ceramics Instructor, Baltimore Potters Guild of Baltimore, 1971-1976
• Studio Assistant, Baltimore Museum of Art. 1967-1970
Other Art-Related Experience
• Board of Directors – Baltimore Clayworks, Baltimore, MD
• Board of Directors – Cylburn Arboretum, Baltimore, MD
• Art Seminar Group, Baltimore, MD (a lecture/travel educational group with weekly
lectures) – member.
• Extensive world travel, including India and Japan with Holly Hockner, Director, Museum
of Art and Design and travel to Spain & Mexico City with art expert guides.
• Continuing Education, 1970 to present
o Maryland Institute College of Art
o Art Students League
o Maine Media Workshops
o International Center for Photography
o Haystack Mountain School of Crafts
o International Encaustic Conference
• Graduate work in Ceramic Art, Oberlin College, Columba, MD, 1967-1968
• Bachelor of Arts, Art History & Studio Art, Goucher College, Baltimore MD, 1963